Creamy whipped feta dip
Creamy whipped feta dip made of feta cheese, mayonnaise, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon zest, thyme, and seasonings is just the right mix of deliciousness! It serves as an excellent dip for fresh veggies, and it’s a good source of protein and a great alternative to high-calorie dips.
Who says dips have to be served cold? This savoury dip can be served warm, but it’s delicious at room temperature, and you can even freeze it. This creamy whipped feta dip recipe is perfect for any occasion. It will be a hit with anyone who tries it!
The dip tastes just like the one you’d get in a fancy restaurant!
What is Feta Cheese?
Feta is a soft and crumbly brined curd cheese traditionally made from sheep milk. However, sheep milk and goat milk together can also produce premium quality Feta cheese. The proportion of goat milk must be less than 20%.
The process of bringing produces a strong flavour, and the longer the cheese is aged, the sharper and saltier it becomes (not suitable for those on a salt-restricted diet). This crumbly cheese is packed with calcium, high in protein, and low in fats and calories, making it an excellent snack choice.
What Does Feta Cheese Taste Like
Feta cheese is often described as sharp, tangy, and salty. Aged feta cheese can be crumbly but may have a more distinct flavor. The more you let it sit in the brine solution, the stronger the flavour will get. The type of milk used to make Feta gives feta cheese distinctive tastes and textures.
The traditional Feta is sharp (sheep milk), while the Feta made from cow’s or goat milk tends to be milder. The sheep’s milk feta is also slightly crumbly and has a somewhat richer flavour than the goat’s milk cheese versions.
What is Creamy Whipped Feta Dip?
The feta cheese is brought to life by a combination of sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon zest, garlic, fresh thyme, red chili flakes, and fresh dill. The result is a soft yet uniquely flavorful cheese that’s perfect for cooking, baking, and serving with the appetizers of your choice.
It’s a simple and delicious dip that works well with crackers or slices of baguette. Serve it with chips, veggies, or warm pita bread to scoop up the dip. You can even use it as a spread for a sandwich or wrap.
What you’ll need – Ingredients
Serve this delicious cream cheese feta dip with pita chips or veggies for a healthy and flavorful game day party appetizer! This indulgent creamy feta dip has a smooth and velvety texture that is guaranteed to impress! It’s also lovely as a sandwich spread.
Here’s the list of explained ingredients that’ll go in your homemade whipped creamy feta dip:
- Feta Cheese – Feta is a white, creamy, brined cheese from Greece. It is also crumbly and has slightly grainy texture, making it highly versatile in salads, pasta, and dips.
- Sour Cream – Sour cream is a mixture of cream and fermented milk. For the optimal flavor and taste, use high-quality full-fat sour cream.
- Extra Virgin Olive oil – I add olive oil as the primary fat in my dip. It’s my personal choice because I think it adds to the flavor and texture of the dressing without overpowering it.
- Lemon Zest – It adds a bright and tangy touch to your dip.
- Mayonnaise – It is a popular textured and creamy base for sauces, dressings, and dips.
- Garlic – Garlic can be added to almost any dish for a flavorful kick.
- Spices – I used a combination of red chili flakes, fresh dill, and thyme to add some kick.
Creamy Whipped Feta Dip
- 200 gr feta cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- toasted pita wedges
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or combine well with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper, adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer the dip to a serving bowl and drizzle with olive oil on top. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and red chili flakes.
- For the pita wedges, cut the pita bread into wedges and sprinkle it with some sea salt. Arrange on aparchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes until toasted.
- In a small pan, toast the sesame seeds until golden, just a few minutes. Serve with the whipped feta dip and the toasted pita wedges.
What to serve with whipped feta dip?
Whip up feta dip to serve with anything you love. It depends on what kind of theme you want to go with. For example, if you want to do a Mediterranean theme, you can serve it with pita bread, sliced baguette, fresh vegetables, and crackers.
Whipped feta dip is so versatile, and the complementary dishes are endless. It also goes well with chips, crackers, pita bread, or vegetables. Some vegetarian options are carrots and celery sticks, crunchy peppers, cherry tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and cucumber slices. It’s also a great addition to a salad or spread on a sandwich.
How long does this Creamy Whipped Feta keep?
Store whipped Feta in an airtight container and place it in the refrigerator. It keeps fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days. The cheese will hold its flavour and texture. Don’t forget to remove it from the refrigerator at least half an hour before serving.
Can you freeze whipped feta dip?
You can freeze whipped feta dip for up to 3 months; ingredients will remain the same but defrosting whipped feta dip may alter taste and texture. The safest way to freeze whipped Feta is to make small batches and store them in airtight containers before placing them in the freezer. It’s best to use them as soon as possible after thawing. To thaw, place the container in the refrigerator overnight. Give it a nice stir right before serving.
How to store leftover whipped feta dip?
Leftover whipped feta dip is best stored in the refrigerator. Refrigeration allows this to last up to 3 days. If you keep it in the fridge, give it a good shake with a spoon or a fork when you are ready to eat it again.
Which is the best Feta to use?
There are several types of feta cheese on the market. The favourite from Greece is called Greek Feta and is traditionally made from sheep’s milk. It is best to use smooth and creamy Feta for whipped feta dip. If the Feta is drier, you may need to add more cream cheese or olive oil to achieve a creamy consistency.
Crumbled Feta cheese can be used in place of parmesan cheese in a lot of dishes. It tastes stronger than parmesan and can be used in salads, soups, casseroles and pasta dishes. Crumbled feta cheese is also a great topping for pizza.
What if my whipped feta dip is too thin?
When you whip a dairy product like cream cheese or feta cheese in your food processor, you can over-process it. Occasionally, this happens when using a food processor to make dips. It can cause a bit of a thinning of your dip or spread. When your dip seems too thin, you can set it in the refrigerator for an hour or two. The cool temperatures will cause the dip to thicken up a bit.