Blackened Chicken Recipe
This blackened chicken recipe is simple to prepare and will become a regular in your weekly meal planning. This blackened chicken recipe is popular with the whole family because it is marinated and cooked in a delightful spice blend. Prepare the marinade, then throw everything into the oven. The chicken is bursting with flavour from the blackened spice marinade.
It’s extremely delicious! It’s wonderful on its own as a supper entree, and it also works wonderfully as a topping for tacos, salads, fajitas, and other dishes.
Why you’ll love this blackened chicken recipe
- Quick: This blackened chicken is ready to serve dinner in no time. Simply marinate it, prepare and serve!
- Flavorful: The blackened seasoning marinade adds an incredible flavor to the chicken. It’s absolutely delicious!
- Versatile: This chicken is perfect as a main dish for dinner however, it’s also easy to cut into pieces and put in tacos, salads, fajitas and many more!
Ingredients used in preparing blackened chicken
This easy dish for charred chicken uses just a few basic pantry staples. The below recipe card has the exact measurements. What follows is a rundown of the essentials:
A combination of paprika, dried thyme, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper for the spicy flavour. You need to use freshly ground spices. It is important to note that a stale spice ruins a dish.
If you’re using fine salt instead of kosher salt, you may want to cut it back by half to avoid oversalting your dish.
Remove the skin and bones before using them in this recipe.
Using avocado oil at high temperatures is a great idea. Ghee in liquid form should work as well. To make this dish, olive oil is not a good choice. Extremely high temperatures would cause it to smoke, therefore you shouldn’t use it for that.
Is it easy to make blackened seasonings?
It’s ridiculously easy, and you probably have all the necessary spices on hand now. Simply combine the spices in a small bowl or, better yet, a sealable sandwich bag. The amounts given here are plenty for the recipe at hand, but you may choose to increase them by a factor of two, three, or even four for future usage. Keep it at room temperature in an airtight container.
Variations that can be used in the recipe
- Substitute chicken thighs for the breasts, making sure they are boneless and skinless. The chicken will be juicy when cooked this way.
- Cooking times should be adjusted accordingly; a thermometer is the best way to determine when food is done.
- Try a new blend of spices. Smoked paprika could replace sweet paprika, while dried oregano could stand in for thyme.
- Avocado oil can be substituted with butter or ghee that has been heated.
Storage tips for blackened chicken
- The leftovers, if stored properly in a sealed container, can be kept in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- The best way to reheat them is in a covered microwave at 50% power.
- The reheated chicken tends to become dry, so I much prefer using it cold, sliced thinly, as a salad topping the following day for lunch. They go wonderfully with the chicken cobb salad.
- And as was already noted, they go great in a sandwich if you consume the bread. You might use a lettuce wrap instead of the bread made with almond flour
What can be served with blackened chicken?
Pair this chicken breast with some vegetables and potatoes to round out the dinner. If you’re looking for a lighter lunch, pair it with a crisp salad. Experiment with:
- Cacio E Pepe Roasted Potatoes
- Easy Mashed Potatoes
- Brown Butter Glazed Carrots
- Easy Roasted Vegetables
Is blackened chicken spicy?
Yes, there is some heat, mostly because of the paprika.
Is blackened chicken cause burns?
No! It could look burned because of its color and the way that the cooked-in marinade is seasoned but the chicken isn’t burnt. Make sure to not cook it for too long, as it could dry out.
What’s the difference between cajun and blackened seasoning?
The mix of spices used in both is very like, however, the cajun seasoning is spicier.
What type of pan should I choose?
Any large skillet can be used but I highly suggest using a cast iron skillet if you own one.
Ingredients in Blackened Chicken
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 6 Unsalted butter
- 2 tsp Sweet paprika
- 2 tsp Spicy paprika
- 2 tsp Ground thyme
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- 1 tbsp Fresh cilantro chopped
- 3 tbsp Sour cream
Ingredients in Blackened Chicken seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- In a Ziploc bag, mix the smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, dried thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, oregano, and salt. Get everything mixed together by shaking.
- Use paper towels to thoroughly dry the chicken breasts. Prepare chicken breasts by gently coating both sides with oil or baking spray. Apply the seasonings to the chicken with your hands to get a uniform coating.
- One tablespoon of avocado oil should be heated until it smokes in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. The chicken needs around 5 minutes per side in the oven to get fully cooked and a deep golden colour (nearly black). Put aside from the pan. Tent with a sheet of aluminium foil and let it sit for ten minutes.
- To combine your seasonings, use a Ziploc sandwich bag. When you're done shaking the spices together, you can toss the bag. There will be no need to clean an additional set of dishes if everyone is happy.
- Chicken breasts today are enormous, so you'll want to cut them in half lengthwise. As a bonus, they will cook more uniformly without compromising on nutrition.
- In order to achieve the best results, the chicken breasts need to be at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Warm the pan until the oil begins to smoke. Sear the chicken in the pan to retain its flavour and the heat from the spices. Chicken should be cooked all the way through and browned before serving.
- After cooking, tent the chicken loosely with aluminium foil and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- You can keep refrigerated leftovers in an airtight container for up to three days. The microwave can be used for reheating at a lower setting.