Air Fryer Sweet Potato
For a sweet, yummy, and downright addictive side dish, it doesn’t get better than baked sweet potatoes in an air fryer. But what’s even better than bland, old-school baked sweet potatoes is baked sweet potatoes that come out of the air fryer!
The Air Fryer is the most preferred appliance for cooking sweet potatoes that are crispy, fluffy, and toothsome. They are cooked to perfection with crispy skin, fluffy and creamy on the inside, and can be topped with whatever your heart desires.
Why use an air fryer?
This baked sweet potato recipe is going to knock your socks off! In the Air Fryer, you can coat your sweet potatoes in as little as a tablespoon of olive oil, and then you can cook them at full 400 degrees F for about 30-35 minutes! The air fryer allows you to prepare these sweet potatoes with little to no oily mess, resulting in incredibly soft and fluffy sweet potatoes with perfectly crisp skin.
Why Sweet Potato – Is Sweet Potato Healthy?
Besides being inexpensive, they’re easy to make and enriched with vitamins and minerals. You can’t go wrong with these yummy, tender, and moist sweet potatoes. It takes minimal effort to make yet yields impressive results and tastes delightful!
There are a lot of health benefits to sweet potatoes. They are rich in fiber and beta carotene, a precursor for vitamin A. Both of those are good for your eyes. On the other hand, starch is a carbohydrate, so sweet potatoes are better options than potatoes.
Sweet potatoes’ GI index is much lower, so sweet potatoes are good for you, unlike potato chips made from sweet potatoes. One last health benefit is that sweet potato are rich in potassium. It helps to counteract muscle cramps, fatigue, and high blood pressure.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato
- 1 Air Fryer
- 4 large sweet potato
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil, or use a cooking spray
- 1 tsp chopped green onion
- 1 tsp bacon bits
- piece of butter
- Scrub the sweet potato under running water then thoroughly dry with a towel.
- Poke the potato all over with a fork, rub with oil and sprinkle all over with salt and black pepper.
- Place the potato on the baking tray.
- Cook at 400 F / 200 C for 30 minutes, then flip and cook for additional 10 minutes or until the fork early slides through the centre.
- When the sweet potato is cooked, use a knife to make an incision in the middle of the potato. Place the butter inside and sprinkle with chopped green onion, bacon bits, salt and pepper.
- Wash and scrub your sweet potatoes under running water.
- Pierce the potato’s skin multiple times with a fork to ensure even baking and prevent the sweet potatoes from exploding in the air fryer.
What to serve with air fryer sweet potatoes?
Air fryer sweet potatoes are an excellent substitute for regular potato fries. They are crispy on the outside, tender inside, and need little oil to achieve this. They go well with any protein or veggie dish of your choice. Here are some ideas to serve with air fryer sweet potatoes.
- Meat – You can treat them as a side dish to chicken or beef – both taste great alongside sweet potatoes. They pair well with any protein, from chicken to fish, seafood, and even eggs.
- Veggies – I love to pair my sweet potatoes with roasted vegetables! The flavors complement each other. I love to serve my sweet potatoes with roasted acorn squash, carrots, zucchini, green beans, and Brussels sprouts. Yum!
- Salad – Air fryer sweet potatoes go great with fruit salads. Two slices of fresh tomatoes and two fresh basil leaves go great with a plate of sweet potatoes.
Should you soak sweet potatoes in water before air frying?
It causes the potato to cook unevenly, so I always avoid soaking sweet potatoes in water before air frying them. The center of the sweet potato is often still very firm or even raw after air frying, while the outer edges and ends are almost burnt. Air frying gives you a crispier finish than traditional baking, so you don’t need to soak sweet potatoes before cooking.
How long to air fry sweet potatoes?
Prepare the air fryer by preheating it to 400 degrees F or 200 degrees C. Set the timer for 30 minutes. The sweet potatoes will be cooked when the timer goes off. Let them cool down slightly before serving.
How can you tell if sweet potato is done cooking?
There is no exact way to know when a sweet potato is done, but you can use a few signs to check on the progress. The first sign is to check the texture. The texture should be easily penetrated by a sharp knife, a fork or a toothpick.
Next, examine the skin. When you pierce the skin of the sweet potato with a fork, juice should ooze out, and the skin should be slightly wrinkly. The third sign is to see if the sweet potato slides easily off the skin. The sweet potato should be cooked when all these signs are present.
How to Serve Air Fryer Sweet Potato?
When baked or roasted, sweet potatoes are delicious, but air fryer sweet potatoes offer the best of both worlds since you can serve them with chopped garlic, bacon bits, salt, and pepper by making a small incision when they are done.
Alternatively, air fry sweet potatoes, top them off with low-fat sour cream, and then sprinkle them with chives, cilantro, and cheddar cheese. So delicious! Lightly drizzle some sesame oil and sesame seeds, and top with some peanuts for crunch.
How long does air fryer sweet potatoes last?
Storing leftover sweet potatoes effectively is essential for keeping them fresh and edible. Cooked sweet potatoes remain good to eat for about 5 days when stored in the refrigerator. After cooking sweet potatoes, it is best to cool them thoroughly to stay fresh longer. Then you can store them in airtight containers or plastic bags and place them in the refrigerator.
Do sweet potatoes have carbs?
Carbohydrates are abundant in sweet potatoes. Carbohydrates are the sugars present in carbohydrate-rich foods like vegetables, grains, fruits, etc. It is a nutrient that provides instant energy to the body to sustain physical activity and growth. There are about 20.1 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams of sweet potatoes.
Can you eat sweet potatoes raw?
It is possible to eat raw sweet potatoes. The taste of the sweet potato becomes less sweet after it is cooked. Be aware that sweet potatoes have a lot of starch, so if you are sensitive to carbohydrates, you can experience digestive issues. Sweet potatoes that aren’t cooked through are reportedly hard to digest.